Lettuce is the vegetable that provides daily source of essential vitamins and minerals. Lettuce provides very less calories if eaten and contains ninety percent of water. Still it contains all the vital nutrients like vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, iron and calcium that are required for the well being of the body. Researches have revealed that men and women who consume enough quantity of lettuce and other raw vegetables do not have to take any extra supplements of vitamins and minerals. It has been found that the raw vegetables are a good source of antioxidants like vitamin C, Vitamin E, folic acid and alpha and beta carotene.
Lettuce is a good source of vitamin C and vitamin E which are considered as antioxidants. These vitamins are also known as antioxidant vitamins. These antioxidant vitamins are very important as they keep the body cells healthy and also prevent molecular DNA from getting destroyed by free radicals. Raw lettuce is a vital ingredient of weight reduction diet. The milky latex that is found in the leaf nodes of lettuce has many medicinal values and has been used for medicinal purposes since centuries.
Benefits of lettuce
Anti-oxidant properties: Lettuce is rich in anti-oxidant properties. It is a vital source of vitamin C, vitamin E and beta carotene. These nutrients cleanse the body from all toxins and protect the cells from free-radicals. Regular consumption of lettuce in foods reduces the chances of getting chronic diseases and also prevents the premature aging process.
- Rich in iron content: Lettuce is rich in iron which is very important for the synthesis of hemoglobin in RBC’s. As such it reduces the chances of diseases like anemia.
- Strengthens the bones: Lettuce is a good source of vitamin K which helps in the synthesis of bone protein called osteocalcin that makes the bones strong. Lettuce also contains phosphorous and calcium which helps in making bones and teeth strong.
- Lettuce has a refreshing effect and dehydrates the body cells thus releasing toxins and harmful fats.
- Lettuce has high fibrous content thus provides roughage to the body. It stimulates the functioning of intestinal tract and relieves problems like constipation.
- It has natural sedative as well as pain killing properties. In the present scenario lettuce is used to treat stress, sleep disorders and anxiety. It is very good for keeping oneself calm and relaxed.
Lettuce has so many benefits but it is advised that people undergoing anti-coagulant therapy must avoid eating it as it contains high amount of vitamin K. This may interfere with the therapy resulting to the formation of blood clots that might increase the problems.